Monday, January 14, 2013

We’re all THAT mom.

I can’t take Little A grocery shopping.

I can’t.

People look at me and laugh when I say that, but it’s the truth.

She’s a major screamer. I don’t mean that she’ll let out a couple of squeals every now and then when she wants something. She’s a full-on, ear-ringing, head-splitting screamer. I think she’s somehow a cross between a banshee and a siren. I would be absolutely fine with that and power on through my shopping trip if that was the only thing.

I think she’s part houdini, too.

This kid can climb.

People say, “Just buckle her into the shopping cart.”

NO.

It doesn’t work.

She can climb out of shopping carts, even when she’s buckled in.

So picture me walking through the grocery store wrestling a screaming toddler while trying to find the things on my list. It’s stressful. It’s hard. It makes ME want to start screaming right along with her.

I get so many of those looks. You know...the ones that say, “Shut your kid up!” and “Why can’t you control your child?!” and “You are failing at life!”
Okay...maybe that last one is a little far out there, but all moms feel that way at least once.
It’s not the looks that bother me. I could care less what other people think of me or my parenting style. Grocery shopping is just stressful for me. Middle A was very easygoing, and still is. Dealing with Little A is like a whole new ballgame.

My solution?
I ask someone to watch the girls while I go grocery shopping. That turns my hour-and-a-half shopping trip into about a 30-45 minute trip. It’s much easier to get everything on my list, and I don’t have to rush. Not to mention my stress level is waaay lower than when I take the kiddos.

So on Wednesday while I was grocery shopping (all by myself!), there was another mom there with a little boy who was absolutely done shopping. You could tell he was exhausted and just wanted to go home. They were in front of me in the checkout line. The mom kept giving me these, “I’m so embarrassed! He’s not usually like this.” looks. I knew exactly how she felt. None of us want to be that mom--the one who can’t control her kids. Honestly though, kids will be kids. They all have their moments. Sometimes we can calm them down, and sometimes we can’t. That’s just life.

So next time you’re at the store and one of your kids decides to show their less-than-flattering side, just remember....we’ve all been there. We’ve all dealt with it. You’re not the only one. We understand.

For those few that have the guts to actually put into words what the look has already affectively communicated, just give them a big smile and tell them to have a nice day. Not only will it throw them for a loop, it will also show them that you don’t give a pile of dirty diapers about their opinion.

So here’s a big THANK YOU to Angela, my brother-in-law’s girlfriend. You help keep me from being that mom at the grocery store. Even better, you help me keep my sanity.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com