Friday, August 12, 2011

No-Sew Tutu

Here's a simple tutorial showing how to make a no-sew tutu.
(Ok, I admit there is a little bit of sewing, but it can be done by hand if need be).
Directions are below each picture.



Here's what you need:

 Tulle in whatever colors you want to use. To make things easier, I always buy the rolls of tulle from Hobby Lobby (see them there behind the tulle piles?). They just so happened to be on sale 50% off this week. I cut it in half, creating 3-inch strips. Then I cut the strips to double the length I want the tutu to be since you have to fold them in half. I had PLENTY left over from what I cut here after making this tutu for a little girls's first birthday (so a 12-18mos size). 
You also need elastic for the waistband. I used 3/4" knit elastic. 
I measure the child's waist (or find a piece of clothing in that size and measure the waist) and subtract about 2 inches from it. When you pull the tulle tight as you put it on, it stretches the elastic. It will be big enough, I promise!
I overlap it about an inch and zig-zag stitch on my machine over each end. I did it with black thread so you could see. I always go back and forth a few times to be sure it's secure. There's going to be a child pulling on this and don't want it to come apart.
Fold a piece of tulle in half and pull the loop above the elastic.
I tried to lighten up this picture, but for some reason it won't let me upload the lightened one. 
Put the loose ends of your tulle through the loop creating somewhat of a slipknot. 
If you want it to be extra fluffy, you can do 2 strips together instead of a single strip.
Pull it tight (but not extremely, since the tighter you pull the more your elastic expands).

Keep going in whatever pattern you like for your tutu. 
If you are getting toward the end and realize it's stretching too much, you can always trim out some elastic and resew it shut. 
Voila! 
I bought a headband and flower to match this one. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com