Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Childhood Nostalgia

Today, the girls and I went to my grandparents’ house to visit and play.
We call their place ‘The Farm’ because it’s a piece of farmland, even though it’s not technically a functioning farm.
The photo below is just part of their property.
The view from our quilt.

As we were lying on a quilt under a pecan tree, I thought of the hundreds thousands of wonderful memories I have of my siblings, my cousins, and myself spending time there. A rush of emotion ran over me. It was a fusion of nostalgia, sadness, happiness, and longing.

Grumpy & Middle A sitting on a bench by the creek.

I have many wonderful memories of all the things my grandparents and I did together. I love my grandparents. They were a huge presence throughout my childhood. Their house was on the same bus route as ours, so we would ride home from school to their house and play all afternoon. In the summertime, my mom would take us to The Farm whether Grandma & Grumpy were home or not. We would play outside for hours, until mom said it was time to go home.

My siblings and I got this wagon for Easter when we were young. It has a new paint job, but it’s still in great condition!
I am saddened because I can’t just go to The Farm whenever I want with my kids. I learned how to ride my bike there. I caught crawdads in the creek. We played Pooh Sticks on the bridge. I helped Grumpy plant his garden....then helped him pick the veggies. We played hide & seek in the two barns on the property. I wish I could take my kids there more often so they can experience those same things I did. I know they’ll get to have these experiences at some point. It just seems more special to me to even think that we could share those same memories with my grandfather at his home....and yet we can’t, since we live four hours away.

Big A & myself, lying on the big quilt under the pecan tree.
I’m still happy that I get to visit when I am in town. I love taking my kids there so they can see a little slice of my childhood. Sharing my childhood with my kids is one of my favorite things. I love telling Big A stories about the things her aunt, uncles & I did when we were young. Luckily, our mom either took pictures of everything or recorded it. We have a great record of our childhoods. It’s so much fun to share it with my girls. I try so hard to create the same fun, carefree, creative and loving environment I had as a child.

Middle A making her, “Oh, you want to take a picture of me?” face.

I would like so much to be able to spend our summers at The Farm; to just lie on a quilt in the shade of one of the many trees Grumpy has planted (some with our help) and watch my girls play the days away. That particular tree we were sitting under today was one that I helped Grumpy plant. The memories I have of my grandparents will always be some of my favorite. I guess I just need to make a conscious effort to create more when we come to visit.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE it! I had a wagon just like that! And, for the record, I did a double take because Little A looks so much like Middle A when she was an infant. :P

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com