Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Wired Welcome

I’ve been doing some crafty little DIY’s lately, but I lost my digital camera charger, so I have been taking pictures with my cell phone. (BOOOO!!!!!)


I’ve been working on decorating our entryway. Here is the shelf I recently added:


The shelf is a Goodwill find, I painted the canvas, and also made the welcome sign.
I’ll share details about the shelf and canvas later. 

Today, I’m going to share with you how I made the Welcome sign.


I wanted something simple to put on the shelf in my foyer since it isn’t a large space. 
It was pretty easy. The worst part was how sore my hands were after working with wire for a few hours. 

Here’s what you need:


You don’t really need two different gauges of wire, but I used both. It was easier to wrap the thinner wire around the spots where I had to join the hangers together to better secure the link, and then cover it with the thicker wire.

Untwist your hangers and use the pliers to help you form the word you want to use.


It’s ok if it isn’t perfect. When you wrap the wire around it, you can better shape or smooth your letters.

Start wrapping the wire around your hanger word. 
Continue wrapping it around, covering the hanger as completely as possible.


Continue wrapping the wire around until you’ve completely covered your word. 




I know it’s not as perfect as something I could buy at the store, but I like that about my DIY’s. It gives them character. 








0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com